Sunday, January 8, 2012

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Happy New Year Everyone!

Here's hoping 2012 delivers a bountiful harvest of good health, prosperity and peace to all.

My New Year's Resolution involves a promise to examine each and every aspect of my life from the qualitative perspective, and as such, this shall be My Year of Inquiry on numerous levels.

I promise I won't wax too philosophical in this pursuit: I'll just accept this task with the zeal of the somewhat dyslexic metaphysician that I am.

The exercise, of course, will require frequent periods of Peace and Quiet to sort everything out. And what better opportunity could arise, to set aside this time, than my almost daily 120-minute commute from my home in Unity to Dartmouth and back?

So to get my head into shape, I decided to tackle a few "softballs" o t several appealing to my sense of humor - before diving into any Heavy Stuff.

For instance:

A. Why is it that, every time I drive up to Dartmouth, they send me over to the Phlebotomy Department where a technician draws about a half-liter of my blood from my body?

My problem is: my body lacks the ability to manufacture blood.

I want to get to the bottom of this ASAP due to the fact that I have been poked more times in the past three months than a Saigon Madam.

B. What's up with the Dallas Cowboys Merchandising Department?

Seems the Cowboys have all of their fan-related stuff that sells for Top US Dollar - game shirts, jackets, caps, you-name it - made in Cambodia by women who make less than 30-cents per hour.

The erstwhile "America's Team" actually owns the factories in Cambodia and signs off on the managers who run these sweatshops.

If "America's Team" wants to peddle stuff to its fans - 99.99995% of whom reside in the USA - might it make sense that the 'Boys manufacture their merchandise in America?

Just asking ...

C. How can a college football team that didn't even win its conference be chosen to play for the NCAA's BCS National Championship?

Who anointed Alabama as the No. 2-ranked college team? (Answer: a computer did!)

I have no quarrel with LSU being anointed the Nation's No. 1 Team, but unless and until the NCAA adopts a real playoff system to determine the nation's best college team, the BCS' final bowl game will be a sham.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

D. Why does February contain 28 days for three years, and then on the fourth year, it's added one more day to bring its total to 29?

Can't the Calendar Kings just borrow a day from, say December and from March, and set every February to an even and consistent 30 days?

E. Finally, have you noticed what has been happening to the pump prices of gasoline? Since New Year's Day, the price per-gallon in my neighborhood has jumped 22-cents per gallon.

Maybe an answer can be found embedded in this little Gem: last year, the New Hampshire Legislature dropped the State Cigarettes Tax by 20-cents, per pack, in the belief that the tax reduction would lure smokers from Maine, Vermont and Massachusetts here to save a few bucks per-carton.

Guess what? As soon as the tax reduction went into effect on Oct. 1st, the Butt Manufacturers raised their prices by 20-cents per pack!

What a country...

No comments:

Post a Comment