Friday, February 18, 2011

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

I have been fielding concerns from several of you, asking if I have lost my mind.

Interesting theory!

The catalyst for these inquiries centers on my posts over on Face Book regarding one Dona Ana Francesa e Vasquez Di Silva, who I have referred to on many occasions as the World's Greatest Opera-Singing, Flamenco-Dancing Kitty.

For a week or more, I've been chronicling her Exploits -- including her "persuading" me that I am Don Ottavio Rodrigo e Domingo Di Flores, The World's Greatest Marksman & Swordsman.

Apparently, these tales have boggled the comprehension of some.

Here's the real story ...

About two weeks ago, a stray cat turned up in the back yard. Naturally, I made inquiry through the neighborhood to ascertain her ownership.

At night, especially in the Three AM Hour, the as-yet-named kitty launched into katterwalds right under our bedroom window. Her "Aria" as I love to call it lasted until Sun Up, a rendition undoubtedly stimulated by Hormones raging within her.

This cat was in some Serious Heat!

I decided to call her "Tosca."

Carol & I pondered what course of action to follow -- for our benefit and for that of "Tosca" -- and decided to take her over to the vet and have her "fixed." In my opinion, it was the correct thing to do since, if left to her own devices, "Tosca" would breed with any stray Tom, yielding yet another litter of unadoptable kittens.

Our initial plan, as it turned out, was "Spay & Release."

It then occurred to me, a card-carrying Auduboner, that there were a few "bird kills" around the yard as of late -- plus two Black Racers, which patrolled the property hunting for pests, were MIA.

I concluded "Tosca" was the Most Likely Suspect, so it made no sense whatsoever to "release" a top-of-the-line predator back into the yard after she recovered from her surgery.

Carol & I therefore implemented Plan B: try to place "Tosca" with another household, preferably one that likes cats.

Finding "Tosca" a new Forever Home inspired me to come up with a "Marketing Campaign."

I didn't want to tell folks the standard, boring "Kitty Needs New Home" tale, so I opted to bestow a "Personality" upon her that would grab someone's attention.

Upon reflection, I figured "Dona Ana" would work -- she's the "World's Most Famous..." as extracted and refined from the pages of "Tales of Don Juan," by Lord Byron. Composing the scenarios as she healed from her surgery became an enjoyable, relatively easy task for me: hence references to Don Ottavio, metaphysicianship, and all the rest of the zaniness I employed in her "saga."

But the guys who said they'd take her never showed up: by then, "Dona Ana" had healed up nicely. She also played nice around the litter box with the other 'characters" who inhabit this household --the number of which I have sworn never to reveal...

Long story Short: Carol & I opted for Plan C: we decided to keep her.

Her name is now "Pumpkin." But I will always think of her as The World's Sweetest Kitty."

And now, my friends, I will grant you time to ponder questions regarding my state of mind.

Don Ottavio Rodrigo e Domingo Di Flores humbly & patiently awaits your assessments ...

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Punkin' now has her "forever home". If only pet owners would have their animals neutered or spayed and keep the dear ones INSIDE! Then the birds and black racers would be safe too.....

    ReplyDelete