Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A "Shaggy Dog Experience..."

Youth versus Maturity. Innocence versus Experience. Ignorance versus Knowledge. Impulse versus Strategy.

We've all "Been There," meaning we have found ourselves on either side of one -- or of all -- of these equations at some point in our lives. In this Youth Driven Culture, knowledge, wisdom and maturity have been relegated to the Back Seat.

I've seen lawyers, three years out of law school, trying to tell Senior Partners how to run the office.

I've even heard of a 20-something snot-nosed engineer -- and I'm not making this up -- telling the senior managing partner at her firm that she would have more respect for him if he played "Corn Hole" with her, on occasion!

All of this reminds me of an Old Shaggy Dog (to the uninitiated, a Shaggy Dog is a long, corny Joke.) It has something to say about today's Youth Driven Culture in ways you won't hear about at Harvard.

The joke goes something like this:

A Young Bull and an Old Bull were standing under a big Oak Tree at the top of a hill.

Below them, they were watching about 100 Cows grazing out in the pasture.

So the Young Bull says: "Let's run down the hill and screw a couple of those cows"

To which the Old Bull says," Why don't we walk down the hill, and then screw them all."

I have a  gut feeling that NOW will be sending me a letter after they read this, revoking my Membership...

... And a mega-tip 'O The Hat to Marty Burnett for refreshing my memory the other day, by merely mentioning the joke's Punch Line...

No comments:

Post a Comment