Thursday, February 17, 2011

Some "Fashionable" Commentary

Let me state, up-front, that your humble servant is no Fashion Guru.

My wardrobe might be kindly described as "Preppy-Meets-NASCAR-Meets-Flip Flops." Just about all of the women I know would look great wearing a cut-out Trash Can Liner for all I care.

Nevertheless...

I checked out the latest styles being whipped-up at the Fashion Week Love-Fest in NYC, and, let me tell you: some of the designers have finally "got it."

Most certainly, there are models strutting up and down the ramp touting other-worldly garb. They're fun to see -- even hysterically funny when you throw in the fact that some of these outfits will retail for $26,000 and up!

Q: Who the Heck would consider wearing them?
A: Nobody I know!

Thankfully, and for the most part, this fall's Hottest Designs feature practical, warm, and muted looks that flatter the Female Form -- without insulting it.

Skirt hems are lower, I'm guessing to mid-calf. Stylish, loose-fitting blazers are roaring back to life. Blouse necklines are (thankfully and more on this in a bit) moving higher and many of these that I have seen on the hype-ramp are even flouting full-length sleeves.

I think that the designers are finally waking up to the fact that most women are looking to acquire one or two basics for their wardrobe, pieces that will suit perfectly well at their place of work, and later, look great on a night out -- without breaking the Bank.

And now, let's get back to the necklines ...

For years, I have complained that the fashion industry's obsession with Boob-Display was demeaning to women. You know the "look:" pulchritude jiggling, dangling & wangling out the sides, tops and bottoms of a blouse made from about one-tenth of an ounce of white silk (selling at Sax' for $1,500, no less!)

I know, I know: this trend was dominated by the "I Am Woman - Hear Me Roar" mantra. Designers were only giving the Cougar-Class what they wanted: much to wear, think and talk about by way of designs.

As a Card-Carrying Member of the True Blue-Blooded American Male Society, I had no complaints -- that is, until I finally figured out that there were (and are) hundreds of thousands of women who suffer from Breast Cancer.

Those among them who have endured radical mastectomies, chemotherapy and radiation treatments were (and probably are) just as insulted as I was (and am) by an industry that panders to the Center-Fold mentality.

The Fall Line now on display in NYC celebrates a look that flatters any woman's form, one that could gain the Seal Of Approval from the Susan B. Komen folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment